Monday, November 14, 2016

The Sight of Loved Ones



Daily Gratitude Year Four-Day 314: Today, I am grateful for the sight of loved ones coming through the door. (Text my journal prompt #14: What sight are your most grateful for?)

Today is our Walker's birthday. He exits his teens today. He came home for the weekend from Olivet and I was reminded that the sight I am always most grateful for is a loved one coming through the door.

Walker completed our family of four and has been a source of joy and laughter since he arrived. He is kind and compassionate... and loyal. I am so grateful God granted us this child... who is now a man.

I am never happier than when the entire family is around the table or in the family room hanging out. Extended family (and friends who are family) are often included in that happy sight.

Sometimes, in the summer, Randy puts a screen door up. My friend, Stephanie, noted that the slap (never a slam) of a screen door signals someone coming home. It is a happy slap.

After nearly 30 later... I am excited to hear the garage door and know I will soon see Randy coming through the door. He is a favorite sight at the end of the work day.

Chase and Emma often arrive together.. and the sight of it makes me smile. Knowing they have made the decision to make a life together makes me smile.

Above the garage door... I have a reminder to those who use that door, that is also a prayer over them.
"Always remember you faith, your manners... and the way home." The sight of them coming through that door is an answered prayer for protection. I know, too well, that life is fragile.

I am reminded of cousins, Mary and Elizabeth, when Mary went to share the news with her pregnant cousin. Elizabeth, granted a child in her old age. Both, conceived and carried special babies in special circumstances. Was this meeting the moment they both began to put the dots together of the miracle unfolding? I love this passage. It is filled with excitement and wonder:

  At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth.When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. - Luke 1:39-41

I can't even begin to imagine what they were feeling. Wonder. Questions. Anticipation.

I do know the gratitude I feel when loved ones arrive to visit or for an extended stay.

Today, I am grateful for the sight of loved ones coming through the door... and, especially, for Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment