Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Tradition




Daily Gratitude Year Four-Day 328: Today, I am grateful for tradition. (Text my journal prompt #23: What tradition are you most grateful for?)

"Tradition does not mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive." - Jean Jaures
Jennifer and I have always loved that our kids quickly embrace a new "tradition". I like to think that makes them resilient. They love the familiar, but are not afraid to try something new. If we do it more than twice... it becomes "a tradition". I adore the deep pockets of memories that seem to burst at the seams during this season of holidays. 

Getting the house and the turkey ready for 50-80 people... give or take 10... is work. I appreciate that Matt and Jennifer have continued to open the house for the masses. It is work on their part... and for all who join in the Thanksgiving Eve traditions. We make some time for fun and conversation in the middle of the preparations. We are grateful for cousins and friends who lend a hand, tables, roasters and whatever we need.  Even the preparations find us enjoying and adding "traditions". 

I love Thanksgiving. I love traditions.I love family time.

The Bible speaks to remembrance and passing things on to our children's children. Heritage doesn't just "happen". It requires intentional behavior. 

 And what great nation is there, that has statutes and rules so righteous as all this law that I set before you today? “Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children—  how on the day that you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, the Lord said to me, ‘Gather the people to me, that I may let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children so.’" -Deuteronomy 4:8-10
I will chose on this day to think about tradition. I will treasure the old and contemplate the new for their value. Together... we will prepare turkeys and so much more. We are Americans. We are family and friends who are family. We are children of a living God. We can live with hope. We don't "live in the ashes"... we "keep the flame". 

Today, I am grateful for tradition. 



No comments:

Post a Comment