Wednesday, October 11, 2017

15 Minutes

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 284: Today, I am grateful for 15 minutes.

Time moves faster and faster as the years go by. Blink and you find yourself in a new season or experiencing new firsts. There is a beautiful piece of poetry that I memorized as a teen. I remember it running through my head on the long walks from the end of our lane at the end of a school day. 

"Though nothing can bring back the hour, of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower; we must grieve not, rather find, strength in what remains behind." - William Wordsworth


In this life we live at warp speed, this poem reminds me of the importance of reflection. We remember to keep loved ones close. Yesterday, my little sister would have been 50. Instead, she is forever 28. 

Our last conversation was under 15 minutes. It was expensive in 1995 to talk from Kadena AFB,Okinawa to the USA on a landline. Our sisterly chatter was full of love, excitement, life and hope. I will be grateful for that 15 minutes for all of my days on the planet. 

There was no complaining... just girly sharing and laughter.That last call is forever etched in my memory. Unexpected loss is a quick reminder of the value of 15 minutes.

15 minutes can be a catch up conversation at an accidental encounter (many are God appointments)... or a missed opportunity. 

15 minutes can encourage a heart or tear down an already wounded soul. 

15 minutes can be a savored cup of coffee, a word from His Word, a prayer and a grateful spot. 

15 minutes can make all the difference. 

The scripture that I hold to with regard to this matter involves angels. 

Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! -Hebrews 13:2

Have I missed angels in my hurry? When presented with the choice of showing hospitality, kindness or the gift of 15 minutes, which do I choose? 

15 minutes on the cross was agony. Our suffered so much more so that we can be forgiven and free. A prayer of confession and surrender to a sovereign God takes less than fifteen minutes but provides a lifetime of adventure. 

We can wrap a whole lot of gratitude in one quarter of an hour. We can make some memories that will strengthen us for harder times. We can celebrate a chance encounter.

Today, I am grateful for 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment