Sunday, October 1, 2017

Keys & Passion

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 274: Today, I am grateful I know exactly where I put my keys. 

"This Is The Stuff" by Francesca Battistelli could be my song. "I've lost my keys in the great unknown. Call me, please. I can't find my phone." 

Today, I know my keys location. What a win! I try to put them in the same place, but full arms, grocery, mail and other things distract me and they end up not lost... but with current location unknown.  

I adore that the love of my life has given up trying to reform my behaviors on this issue. He has learned to laugh and keep the spare handy. He even finds it funny... until we have to consider getting a new one made with the fancy, schmancy key fobs.  To date... that has not been necessary. They always resurface. Misplaced is not lost, right?

One Bob Goff quote is never enough. This one made me laugh and think. Typical Bob. 

"Most people are more afraid of losing their keys than losing their passion. Keep both where you can find them."

Both are pretty important. Both impact how we get to our destination. Both can be lost and neglected... or protected. We must know what we are chasing and how we are going to get there. True joy isn't found in what we obtain or have... it is who we have with us. Real relationships... real people... real imperfections... and real moments of "finding the keys". The day you come face to face with something that moves your soul in such a way that you say in your best Joan of Arc voice, "I am not afraid. I was born for this." 

What makes your heart sing? Do more of that. Jesus didn't come to restrict, refine and reject. Oh, no. He came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. The taste of such real and unconditional love is hard to frame with our human minds. 

Still, he asks us to come with Him for the journey. No time to find my keys... just follow. No worries. He will make the way. The following scripture is in all four gospels. Matthew and Luke record it twice. That means it is super, duper, over the top important. SIX times!

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? -Matthew 16:24-26

Jesus is saying, "Chase me... not the world. In me, you will find your forever. Souls are eternal. This life is temporary. Come to me and with me." 

Saul/Paul... the former religious zealot... was so full of hate and anger until he was blinded by the light of Christ's love... literally. He received a new name and a new game jersey. He went from putting people to death in the name of religion to using every court they dragged him into as an opportunity to share the way, the truth and new life in Christ. 

His message was one of hope and love. He was content with another day to share Jesus... or a reunion with him. 

But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy.-Philippians 2:17

As a child, I was so fearful of Christian suffering... but as an adult, I have new eyes. In Him... we can't lose. He is our enough for today and forever. 

Are we there yet? No. Every day we can intentionally choose to move closer to His heart... and perfect love drives out fear. 

"And I want all of you to share that joy." 

Today, I am grateful I know exactly where I put my keys... and who holds the keys. 






No comments:

Post a Comment