Monday, October 16, 2017

Butterfly Lesson

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 289: Today, I am grateful for the butterfly. 

Early fall at our house means swarms of butterflies meet me at the mailbox at the end of my work day. The seem to love the sedum blooms. The sedum is not my favorite plant in the landscape but it is hearty and comes back each year. Then, the butterflies remind me that we all see things differently.


Butterflies are attracted to the sedum. I am attracted to the butterflies. I find myself simply watching them for the weeks they are there... and now, they are gone. 


Butterflies are a beautiful lesson from nature about life's changing stages. In their caterpillar youth, they can eat what they want and they survive munching on the leaves. They work to produce the cocoon that will be their changing place. In the dark season, they change. 


What we think is dark and painful can be part of the blooming process. In time, they emerge different, beautiful and find sweet food in flowers blooms. 


Sometimes, being uncomfortable is an important part of the the process. Being uncomfortable is better than be lost. 


I find so much good stuff this "Sorry, not sorry" passage in Paul's 1st letter to the church in Corinth. He has spoken some hard truths and some are unhappy with him for that reason. He holds firm to the gospel truths. He challenges them to bear the discomfort and change. Be free of the darkness and cocoon of the old life.  


I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while. Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.-1 Corinthians 7:8-10


The have had their season of "milk feedings". In their first real struggles to live out their new life, the struggle. He wants them to press through the challenge and come out new creatures. He doesn't want them to give up. They can be mad at him, but the truth remains the truth. 

Have you ever watched a butterfly emerge? The first flight after the wings are dry and ready to go. It is a miracle. So is spiritual growth, however it comes. 


Don't fret the darkness... embrace the metamorphosis.  Find hope in new wings. We were meant to fly. 


Today, I am grateful for the butterfly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment