Saturday, October 21, 2017

Nearer




Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 294: Today, I am grateful we can draw nearer. 

For us, it is the season of falling leaves, fires with family and friends, snuggling, hot beverages after the evening meal and warmth that defies the dropping temperatures. 

I have come to understand that part of what I love about the autumn season is that it demands a response. When summer is dying, somehow... the crispness in the air makes us feel very much alive. We fall into fall and it delights us in every way. Scents, sights, sounds, flavors and the whispers in the wind. Summer happens, but autumn invites.

To experience the glory... we must step into the experience. 

Then, I happened along this sweet little morsel of wisdom. Sometimes, a poem or a quote just blows me away. This one did. Because in its brevity, it says it all. It is simple, brilliant and illuminating. No surprise... it comes from C.S. Lewis. 
  

“If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them.” C.S. Lewis

Sometimes, we have to find the courage to do, live, walk, act, think and behave differently. We have to choose to draw nearer to the one who calls us to follow Him... to get in to him.  

Jesus never begged. He invited. He simply said, "Come." or "Follow me." He knew those he called did not fully understand, but with every breath he took he longed to take our burdens and give us peace, power, life, and a thirst quenching love that warms us to our core. He came to rescue, love and restore. He came to be with us. 

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. -Matthew 11:28 

Nearer to him... nearer the cross where grace poured out in the greatest act of sacrifice and forgiveness of all time. It is where we find everything love has to offer. He longs for us to receive Him into our hearts so that the Holy Spirit  can free us from so many earthly struggles... with his comfort and joy. 

"Nearer" is not a word frequently found in the Bible  

"This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed." -Romans 13:11 

Earworm (the one who sings the song stuck in your head) is singing, "I Am Thine" - an old hymn by Fanny Crosby. Blinded in infancy, she was aided by a grandmother who helped her memorize the Bible as a child. The hymn was inspired after a conversation regarding the nearness of God that was her comfort. "Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,To the cross where Thou hast died. Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord, To Thy precious bleeding side." 

This old hymn hold both comfort and urgency...  just like the Romans scripture. 

I adore the contemporary songs from every season of my life. This song but Meredith Andrews is a few years old, but new to me. It is perfect compliment for C.S. Lewis' poem. 


So draw me nearer Lord
Never let me go
Closer to your heart
Draw me nearer Lord
Draw me nearer Lord

In your nearness there is healing
What was broken now made whole
Restoration in it's fullness
Lasting hope for all who come.

Let our hearts cry out. Nearer. It is a beautiful place to be. 

Today, I am grateful we can draw nearer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment