Monday, October 23, 2017

Wild Abandon

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 296: Today, I am grateful for moments of wild abandon. 

I have a rubber stamp that says "Live for the moments of wild abandon." For a girl who likes to be ready for curve balls, the idea of "wild abandon" sounds brave and risky. Maybe it is. 


Dad used to tell the story of my two purses. We were visiting neighbors for a party. I potty trained early, but I must have feared not knowing the location of the bathroom. I was probably 3 at the time. I had a white with navy trim spectator envelope purse and a pink vinyl quilted one. I wore both in the cross over fashion. 

When our grandfatherly neighbor, Mr. Wade, asked me why I carried two purses, I showed him. In one, I had a dime. Back then, that was a big deal. From the second purse, I pulled a clean pair of underwear and simply explained, "Just in case." 

Our personalities are formed at an early age. I didn't like to be caught off guard by the unexpected. I still don't, but I am learning.  

When given the choice of risky or safe. I choose safe. But, in that part of my nature, Satan can whisper lies that keep me from fully embracing the places God may be leading or truths he wants me to explore. This quote from Max Lucado speaks to my inner chicken. 

"Let God have you and let God love you and don't be surprised if your heart begins to hear music you've never heard and your feet learn to dance as never before." "Max Lucado

This scripture came to mind:

He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord. -Psalm 40:3 

We must open not just our hearts... but our souls to His lead... and let him teach us a new song, a new dance and a new tune. One of the enemies best lies is that it will be restrictive and boring. It is a big, fat, liar-liar-pants on fire lie. 

Our friend Mark is full of wild abandon. I think this is why he is gifted with the 5 and under crowd he helps teach at church. We just had an evening with Mark and his wife and other good friends celebrating the marriage of a special young couple. He always reminds me to live fully in the moment. His love of the Lord makes him a beautiful example of what love does. It fully lives with hands that serve, feet that dance and a voice that sings. I am grateful for his example.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."  -John 10:10   

What ... or who... are the joy stealers? Jesus came that we might live life abundantly. There is a battle between God and Satan for our souls. It boils down to this: one want to prove he can win our souls because we cannot resist sin... the other proved His love by dying to restore our souls and the relationship broken by sin.


He didn't come to harness us... but to break our chains and set us free. 


 Today, I am grateful for moments of wild abandon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment