Thursday, May 24, 2018

No Comparison


Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 144: Today, I am grateful God does not compare what he creates. 

"God does not compare what He creates." - Bob Goff

I love it. I think I've missed this one. I have been a little obsessed with the creative face of God for a couple of years, since discovering Bible Journaling. 

When you are God... which I have no experience at being... I can't even imagine what it must be like to create something from nothing. I get pretty excited with markers, pencils, pens and watercolors. 


Meet Obed. He is my ostrich, inspired by a journaling page I pinned on Pinterest months ago. I am no idea who to credit with the inspiration but I loved him. 

I was afraid to try and freehand him, but didn't have a good way to trace him hand, so I dared to draw, with some encouragement from my sweet friend, Elaina. You see, it doesn't really matter if it is perfect. What matters is the heart in the art, and the meditation on the scripture. Look at this passage...

Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I am doing a new thing;now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness  and rivers in the desert. The wild beasts will honor me,the jackals and the ostriches,  for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert,to give drink to my chosen people,-Isaiah 43:18-20 


Let's look a little closer:


BEHOLD.... just look at it!
I AM .... love that name, the one he gave Moses.
A NEW THING ...not the same thing... our God is not boring. 
; ... a semi colon means pause and take it in. 
THE WILD BEASTS... not the tame but the wild ones.
WILL HONOR ME... all nature bows to his sovereignty. 
THE JACKALS... Unloved by most humans... but howling his praises.
AND THE OSTRICHES... One of the whimsical creations. 

Each one is created to his delight. Not for comparison, but for His enjoyment and ours. Each one has part in nature's balance. Such beautiful landscapes and seascapes were created to delight up.

When acting in His image, He wants us to encourage and build each other up with sincere affirmations. Not to compulsively compete and compare. We are all uniquely made in His image... reflecting his differently. How amazing is that? 


One of the ways we experience this is in sports. When we have success as a team, it is even more thrilling than a personal victory. To do something well... or even amazing... is better with friends. Every member of the team has to do their part, maximizing their personal potential for the good of the team. 

When he told us to "go and make disciples"... he simply said, "Go.". The implication was that we would go together, each doing our own thing. But, together, we are always better. God made us for relationships. We need each other in community and in creating good things in our our world. Communion together is better than competition. 

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.-Romans 12:10

With all the wonder and whimsy of the ostrich, elephant, camel, dolphin and octopus. Our God is so great. 

Today, I am grateful God does not compare what he creates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment