Saturday, May 12, 2018

People Who Tend the Greenhouses

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 132: Today, I am grateful for the people who tend the greenhouses... so we can enjoy instant summer.  

Long awaited spring has sprung and our thought turn to summer splendor. Today, I took a stroll through the flowers and plants at the local True Value. Wow, what a great job Whiteside Nurseries did in choosing plants and keeping them looking fabulous for the customer. The staff was helpful and so friendly, too. 

The first display I spotted was the King Tut grass that has become a staple for my pots. I adore the Suessical grass that grows and grows, until at full height, it poofs into something reminiscent of fireworks. The Fourth of July is a favorite holiday for the Smiths and Leanders... so the King Tut grass is perfect delights us until the next "Red, White and Boom" show in Peoria. 

As the knowledgeable sales people answered my questions, I noticed the tender care reflected in each plant. There wasn't a sad or bad one on display. I was reminded of the people who tend the greenhouses so we can have instant gratification when the earth is finally ready for flowers. They have artists eyes and farmers hearts, caring for each beauty like a child waiting to be adopted by just the right person. They carefully nurture new life so it can take root and grow strong, before it heads to a permanent home. 

It made me think of this quote I first saw on an Mary Engelbreit print:

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." - Marcel Proust 

Isn't that true? Some people make our souls bloom. 

The lady who seemed to be in charge happily offered to help me load the car and helped me figure out how to make it fit. I could see that she loved being apart of the greenhouse business and seeing it all come together for the customer. 

The plants made it safely home. We planted. And in an afternoon, we had flowering pots and colorful complimentary plants. I'm not a great gardener, but Randy helps and we usually are able to keep them alive through fall. So many hours of care and labor went into the plants, long before I brought them home. 

How many times do I think God moves in an instant? But in truth... he is constantly watching, guiding, moving and making a way. There are so many unseen doors closed, windows opened, stoplights held and accidents missed. He works all things together for our good, but we have to trust his timing. 

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end." -Ecclesiastes 3:11

I can't truly fathom the beauty of the glory of God. It is too big... too awesome... too much. I can see a wee bit of his glory reflected in the earth as each flower that blooms seems to sing His praises. 

Today, I am grateful for the people who tend the greenhouses... so we can enjoy instant summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment