Friday, May 11, 2018

Tenderhearted - Getting God


Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 131: Today, I am grateful for the tenderhearted. 

Children can express beautifully tender hearts until we teach them about winning and the other ways of the world. I am not denying the selfishness of human nature that is indulged and over-indulged in our culture, but... watch children who are raised with love, kindness, truth and in community and you will see them act with compassion and tender hearts. 

Our kids and the neighborhood children were always finding and hoping to rescue little birds or bunnies. Sometimes, nature would take its course and they would learn about the circle of life and the sorrow of death. I hurt when they hurt, but their compassion for the injured or helpless always warmed my heart. 

"And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 18:2-4

My Dad thought nothing of shooting an adult racoon on the farm that might pose a threat to us or our animals, but every time he found baby racoons or kittens... he brought them home. He had a soft spot for the injured and helpless wildlife and people. 

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." -Ephesians 4:32

I found this quote and mulled it over and had to smile at the "ah-ha" moment of realizing it nailed a big truth about prayer. 

"This is the heart of prayer - not getting things from God, but getting God. -David Mathis

In seeking the heart of God... to seek his face and his eyes in making decisions... that is prayer. Not a shopping list for the things I want to have and accomplish. It is chasing his heart and not just seeking his power and intervention. 

It is graduation season. Many young people are asking the question, "What comes next?" Some will claim a favorite passage from Jeremiah.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." -Jeremiah 29:11

This is a verse can easily be taken out of context. A junior high student taught me this very important lesson many years ago. It was a student that had been through tough stuff. He was wearing a t-shirt with Jeremiah 29:13 on it. I complimented his shirt and he said this:

"Mrs. Smith, everyone loves Jeremiah 29:11, but it is Jeremiah 29:13 that changes things."  

Yes... I was educated by a 13 year old. One who, at that time, had experienced losing a parent before I did. I'm so glad he took the moment to pause and teach me something important. He didn't know how much I would cling to his words in upcoming years. 

"You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
 -Jeremiah 29:13

For the hope and the future part... there is a required act... seeking God with your whole heart. Holding nothing back. He will not hide from those who do this. He will reveal his help and his ways for all of their days.

 How do you seek his face? Jeremiah 29:12 has the answer to that, too:

"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you." 

He doesn't hide. He is waiting. He longs for us to let down our guard and allow our hearts to be tender to the Holy Spirit. On great days, we can soar. On hard days, we can rest in the comfort and shelter of his wings. 

Today, I am grateful for the tenderhearted who teach us the way. 









No comments:

Post a Comment