Thursday, May 3, 2018

Overnight Guests

Not my castle... but a lovely sight on Grandview Drive.
Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 123: Today, I am grateful for overnight guests.

I always close my annual Christmas letter with ... "Don't forget to listen for angels, look for the star and find your way to the manger. If you are ever near Morton, there is always room in the inn." 

I have been part of an online scrapbooking community since 2012. My SIL, Janita, invited me to join in and I was hooked. I still love to scrapbook after all of these years, because it is a combination of photography, art and storytelling. These things make my soul sing. I never seem to have enough time to play, but when I do... it is energizing. 

Since starting with the Scrap Happy girls, I had only meeting one fellow group member IRL (in real life), but yesterday, the count went up to two. Yes, it doubled. 

Sherry and Kathy are friends who live near Seattle, but have Illinois roots. We have shared scrapbooking and our lives for years in picture and story. Both made the time and effort to connect when in the area. Sherry still has family here and comes to town occasionally. Kathy was passing nearby yesterday and said "yes" to the invite to stay in the Smith Family Inn. Any way you slice it, it was a fabulous time! The hours went so fast... and we stayed up, too late. What a joy it is when "old friends" meet up together... even for the first time face to face. 

I started thinking about the many places that Jesus slept on his time here. I am sure he stayed at Lazarus's home and many others as he made his way from town to town. I remember the instructions from James regarding entertaining strangers:

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -Hebrews 13:2

Hospitality and entertaining is an easy gift for some and others have to work at it. 

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. -1 Peter 4:9


Grumbling? Some guests require more work. Some guests are pure joy, like my overnight guest. Late night chatter and morning coffee is sweet. 

Today, I am grateful for overnight guests.






  






No comments:

Post a Comment