Sunday, September 13, 2020

Chickens

 

Year 8-Day 257: Today, I am grateful for chickens. 

What came first the chicken and the egg? That age old question, right? Chickens are really quite entertaining to watch. They don't worry about much. They strut around the yard like they own it. They have an air of confidence about them... or is it arrogance?

Chickens provide two healthy protein sources. They have for centuries. When they no longer produce eggs, they end up on our dinner tables. I eat more eggs than chicken (I'm not a huge fan of chicken). Both can be apart of a healthy diet. The recipe books are full of dishes starring eggs and chicken. New recipes for chicken are always welcome. 

They live their lives in service to humans, but never act enslaved. They enjoy the grain they are fed, and savor the adventure of finding bugs and worms to eat in the barnyard. We grew up with a chicken house at Grandpa and Grandma Lindgren's house. We often helped with the chicken chores. 

I remember the game of trying to collect the eggs without being pecked. You had to be fast.  I remember the way the chickens would look to Grandpa for behavioral cues, because they recognized their provider. Life was good for the chickens... and for us. 

The chickens are long gone, but the memories remain. There were lessons learned from Grandpa... and from the chickens. Grandpa would do things to protect the chickens from fox or other animals. The chickens did not appreciate his efforts. They never said, "thank you". They simply anticipated his provision. 

I think I'm like that some days. I take for granted the provision the Father grants me with each new day. Some days, I become so focused on my own agenda, I forget to see the God scheduled appointments. I focus on my desires and not His purpose. This scripture comes to mind: 

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me." -Matthew 23:37

There is a lesson for us, too. How often does He want to shelter us in His arms, but we can't get the tune "My Way" out of our heads? Yes, we can learn a little something from our feathered friends.

Today, I am grateful for chickens. 



No comments:

Post a Comment