Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Nature's Night Choir

 Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 271: Today, I am grateful for nature's night choir.

Another reason to celebrate open windows and cool evenings is nature's night choir. The sound is magnificent. Not one voice attempts to drown out the other. The melody calms and unexpected crescendos keep us listening for what comes next until sleep claims us. 

Nature's night choir has an occasional soloist in a coyote or a night bird. You might even hear a duet as one voice calls out to the other in hope or with longing. The music of the night is unique to each landscape. What you hear at the beach differs from the prairie's night song. 

Earworm was singing "Joy To The Word', the hymn we associate mostly with Christmas, but I love it any time of year. Now Earworm has switched to the 1975 Three Dog Night version, "Jeremiah was a bullfrog...." I imagine both of these songs are stuck in your head, too. Singing earworms are contagious. 

Wherever you are, open the window  and listen to the night choir after the sun has fully set. It takes nature awhile to warm up and tune up. Nature cannot be rushed. 

At the end of the day, we can put this days troubles to bed and rest. We can give thanks with a grateful heart. 

"Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts." -Colossians 3:16

"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory. This is my God, and I will praise him— my father’s God, and I will exalt him!" -Exodus 15:2

We will exalt Him. It is written that every knee will bow and every tongue confess. Nature can teach us the song. We need only to quiet our hearts so we can hear the melody. 

Today, I am grateful for nature's night choir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment