Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Wait Is Over

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 255: Today, I am grateful the wait is over... apple cider slushies are back in town.

In just a few hours, I will be in line for the first Apple Cider Slushy of the year. Jill and I always said "A slushy a day until the festival goes away." I keep our tradition. Our festival slushies are made with Tanner's cider, from a local orchard. They are... seriously... magical. 

Mama Ina Mae had her first Apple Cider Slushy over the summer. She definitely enjoyed it. What's not to love? Tart, sweet and cold. I imagine the lines will be long with the weekend temperatures looking to be hot, hot, hot. 

I smile remembering the extreme heat of the Pumpkin Festival of 1991. Donna and I sat holding newborns. Two month old Emma and one month old Chase were cradled in our arms under a shade tree near Dr. Patton's office to watch the parade. They didn't mind the heat as much as we did. Who knew the two would share love, laughter and so many parades? The memory is one I will forever cherish. 

It is never too early or too late for an apple cider slushy. They are definitely a part of the Festival fun. 

Little is written about Jesus as a boy. The one major account recorded was when they traveled for the Passover festival: 

"When Jesus was twelve years old, they attended the festival as usual." -Luke 2:42

I love the "as usual" in this passage. Traditions are important. Jesus had traditions with his family, too. 

My Sister-in-Love, Jennifer, and I have always said that if we repeated something more than once with our kids, and they liked it... it was deemed a "tradition". There is comfort and joy in traditions. 

Today, there will be comfort and joy from Uncle Bud's slushy stand.

Today, I am grateful the wait is over... apple cider slushies are back in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment