Thursday, September 23, 2021

Neil Diamond Songs

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 264: Today, I am grateful for Neil Diamond songs.

I love music and sentimental things. I guess Neil Diamond is a must on my playlist. When The Love Of My Life purchased a stereo system (in 1987) with a fancy, new CD player, Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits was one of our first CD's. What's not to love about Neil Diamond.

Our Monte Carl loved Neil Diamond. In the past week, I've had at least three unexpected Neil Diamond songs pop up. It kind of feels like hugs from heaven. "Sweet Caroline" was played by one of the marching bands in the Pumpkin Festival parade. Everyone has to sing when that song plays. Then, "Heartlight" from the movie "E.T" was on the radio yesterday sweeping me back in time several decades. Most recently, my Earworm began singing "September Morn". It has my heart full of moments and memories. To love and be loved in return is special. "September mornings still can make me feel that way."

I'm not sure I can choose a favorite Neil Diamond's song. There seems to be a favorite for every mood and occasion. His song "America" is perfect for the Fourth of July. "Forever In Blue Jeans" makes me think of summer days and county fairs. "Hello Again" we performed in swing choir with some of my favorite people. Songs do bring back memories.

In the Old Testament, King Saul didn't have a CD player, a radio or a phone loaded with songs. He had a young man by the name of David who could sing and play the harp. David's music soothed the king's soul. King Saul was cranky, testy and unpredictable at times. Those around the king knew David was like a secret weapon to manage the moody king.

"And whenever the tormenting spirit from God troubled Saul, David would play the harp. Then Saul would feel better, and the tormenting spirit would go away." -1 Samuel 16:23

Music is powerful. We have so much music available. The soundtrack of our lives grows each year. It impacts our mood, builds our courage and soothes our souls.

Today, I am grateful for Neil Diamond songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment