Saturday, September 4, 2021

Wired Phones = Free People

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 246: Today, I am grateful I grew up in a season when phones were tied with a wire and people were free.

Remember when you had to be home for a call? Call waiting was a miracle for parents of teenagers.  Social plans were made ahead of time and kept. People stopped by for real conversations. 

I appreciate the blessing of cell phones. Because they are mobile, we are never out of touch with our loved ones. I don't need a map or a phone book if I have my cell phone. It really is a mini library, home office and communication device that fits in your hand. And there are some safety benefits.

On the other side of the coin, the constant interruptions make us weary. Cell phones mean we are  bound to the expectation of a quick response. There are times a quick response is not the best response... or the wisest. 

Most young adults have no recollection of life before cell phones. They have been lived with the convenience and the burden of this wireless age. I am grateful for the experience of a simpler time. 

In Jesus day, letter writing and a messenger with a spoken word were common ways people connected and shared news. They managed to communicate and get things done, even without high tech devices.

Jesus does speak to the value of "knowing a voice" and following

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. -John 10:27

I remember answering the phone and the joy of hearing a familiar voice on the other end. My Mama and Dad used to relish wondering who was on the other end of the line. "Who could that be calling?" Or, "It's probably Jim Wade."  Or, "That must be Melvin."  Each time the phone rang, it was a small surprise. Perhaps some of Mama and Dad's last phones had Caller ID, but only if it came as a free service. For most of their days, the only way to know who was calling was to answer.  

Communication is important in relationships. Familiar voices and friendly connections add good things to our day. Prayer is a wireless communication tool. It always has been. I need to be more intentional about the balance of moderation for things like cell phone use. 

Today, I am grateful I grew up in a season when phones were tied with a wire and people were free.

No comments:

Post a Comment