Tuesday, January 3, 2023

John The Baptist

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 3: Today, I am grateful for the example of John the Baptist. 

Some people are trendsetters. Some march to their own drumbeat. Some stand out. Some stand apart. Some live with intention, uninhibited by  the world's opinions... like John the Baptist. 

I have not spent much time focusing on John the Baptist. When I have, it is usually about his relationship with Jesus.  My Bible Study passage today was Matthew 3. I usually focus on John baptizing Jesus, but today the very intentional way John lived jumped off the page.  

Isaiah 40:3 foreshadowed the ministry of John the Baptist. He sought truth and led others.

"The prophet Isaiah was speaking about John when he said, “He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the Lord’s coming! Clear the road for him!’ John’s clothes were woven from coarse camel hair, and he wore a leather belt around his waist. For food he ate locusts and wild honey." -Matthew 3:3-4 

Things are not always as they seem. John the Baptist, cousin to Jesus, was kind of an odd duck by society's standards. He lived off the land, most comfortable in wilderness places. He literally would shout his message. 

Now, John rocked the modern "capsule closet." With his unique wardrobe, he didn't worry about clothes. His diet was pretty simple, too. Not exactly what I would choose, but a foraged diet of locust and honey worked for John.  It allowed him to not be distracted by questions I find important, like "What's for lunch?" 

I love a leather belt, but the coarse camel hair tunic would not be my first choice. It was simple and a bit bold. Nothing fancy. It fit his message. John was known for bold declaration that people needed to "Prepare the way for the Lord's coming!" He didn't have time for clothing that was fussy or needed gentle care. 

John's mission was set. He lived with intention. Nothing distracted him. He knew his role in the mission. He was not easily distracted. 

I can learn a lot from John. 

Today, I am grateful for the example of John the Baptist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment