Thursday, January 19, 2023

Refining Fires

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 19: Today, I am grateful for the fires that refine.

Most of us don't go looking for difficult days. We do not excitedly sign up for them.  Still, trials and troubles find us. In those moments of utter brokenness, our God is always near. 

Why is it when things are going well, we forget to consult Him? It is easy to get wrapped up in the insanity of each day's calendar. Do we look for the God appointments? Do we lean into opportunities to speak of His goodness and faithfulness. I am so easily distracted at times. 

This is one of my favorite James Elliot quotes. He penned this prayer in his college years, before hitting the mission field in the jungles of South America. 

 "God deliver me from the dread asbestos of other things. Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit that I may be aflame. ~ Jim Elliot" 

What are the "other things" that keep me from being on fire for the gospel?  Jim prays to be saturated with the "oil of the Spirit" that he might be on fire for the Lord. He was offering up his life as a living sacrifice. God used Jim's life and his death as a testimony. 

"But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you. As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. " -2 Timothy 4:5-6a

Nicole Nordeman has an old song - "Burnin'" that nails it! It is one of my comfort songs when life gets challenging. 

https://mozaart.com/en/t/burnin-nichole-nordeman

Today, I am grateful for the fires that refine.

No comments:

Post a Comment