Friday, December 15, 2023

Bricks

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 349- Today, I am grateful for bricks. 

Bricks... as Year Eleven comes to a close, I am 100% sure that I have never remembered to be thankful for bricks. They are one of my favorite building materials. 

When we purchased our home we did not really want a 70's ranch with a long hall. We liked craftman homes with character and charm.  When we found our house it was in the right place, at the right price... and it was a 70's ranch with a hallway long enough to set up a bowling alley. 

It did have the 2-car attached garage, a wood burning fireplace, and it was brick on the front of the house. The brick was one of my favorite things. I've always thought brick homes felt safe. Remember "The Three Little Pigs," story from childhood? The brick house could not be blown down. 

We snatched it right up, and feathered our nest. And now, I love this little house that has housed our family and friends for more than 27 years. Now, I appreciate the convenience of ranch living. There are some rooms with a step up or a step down, but it is more of a ranch than anything else and it is perfect for this season of life. 

I love brick streets. They sweep you back in time. 

The only time bricks did not thrill me was when they ate the heels on my dress shoes in college. The Quad at Olivet Nazarene University would chew us shoes faster than anything else I had ever experienced, but it looked beautiful then and it still does. 

Many fireplaces are created from brick. And, chimneys are often brick. They had character and charm, too. 

Today, a talented mason who is skilled in laying bricks and stone is a rare find  these days. It is a timeless skill, but it is hard work. My dear friend Holli's husband, John, is a retired mason worker. The brickwork at their home is stunning. You can see the attention to detail with every brick put in place. You can see the love. 

To have bricks, we must have people skilled in making them and working with them. 

"When the amount had been determined, they gave the money to the men appointed to supervise the work on the temple. With it they paid those who worked on the temple of the Lord—the carpenters and builders, the masons and stonecutters." -2 Kings 12:11-12  

Today, I am grateful for bricks, brick makers, and bricklayers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment