Friday, December 29, 2023

Peace


Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 363- Today, I am grateful for peace.

Peace. What is it? A word? A movement? 

Oh, it is so much more. The peace that transcends human understanding is a gift the world and circumstances cannot steal. 

Walt Whitman said, "Peace is always beautiful." 

He was right. Jesus said:

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” -John 16:33

That is a promise to anyone who seeks and finds freedom in Christ. There was never a promise this world would be a safe and trouble free zone for those who choose Him. In fact, it is quite the opposite. The enemy of our souls wants us to be anxious and troubled by the world around us. 

When Paul was known as "Saul" he was deeply religious. He knew the law and the scriptures. He had a favorite hobby he was passionate about... hunting and killing believers in Jesus. Saul was feared amongst the early believers. 

Saul's conversion story was big, bold, and it still ripples into eternity. Changing his name to Paul was a way of recognizing his new life in Christ. The old had passed away. His blood-stained hands were now clean. He was a new man with a new and deep peace. A real peace that jail cells, beatings, and threats of death could not steal. The man wrote eloquently from a jail cell.

"For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.  For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.  But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better." -Philippians 1:20-22 

To me, Paul's words and the heart of this passage define genuine peace. To live or to die... he wins! He penned it beautifully so those who came after him could know the truth. Peace is not an act, a meditation, or a movement. Peace is a gift. 

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." - Jesus (John 14:27)

His peace means we can be fearless. 

Today, I am grateful for peace.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment