Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Herbs

Year 7-Day 114: Today, I am grateful for herbs.

Every summer, I try to plant a few herbs in my pots. I am not super successful, but I keep trying. I love fresh herbs. There is something about farm to table that simply tastes better.

My favorites are the the basils, chive, the mints and the oregano. There are so many basils that you could have a whole basil garden. Not all basils are the same. 

I am reminded that good seeds and good soil make a difference, too. Gardening, like farming, is part knowledge, part art and a whole lot of heart. Gardening is mini farming. 

Again, I am reminded of our assignment in Genesis. Handed down to man at creation: 

The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. -Genesis 2:15

An important  assignment.. and the work was not punishment, but a joy and a pleasure. Gardeners still feel that way today. 

Gardens come and go. Some years are more successful than others. The gardener keeps trying. One bad year is not a reason to give up. One bumper crop is not a reason to get lazy. Plants thrive some years and other years they perish because of drought or heat. 

One of the things that fascinates me is the "going to seed" process. Most plants, at the end of their life, start a new beginning by going to seed. What looks like death is a new beginning as seeds fall to bring new life in a new season. 

There is some great analogies that can be made to our faith walk. Mature is not always beautiful by the world's standards, yet there are seeds that fall to bring new life. Our idea of beauty changes. That which has weathered the storm, endured the heat and brought forth fruit is a rare kind of beautiful. I will remember that as my herbs reach maturity this year. 

Today, I am grateful for herbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment