Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Measuring Sticks

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 92: Today, I am grateful for measuring sticks.

We humans love our measuring sticks. In the USA, we hold tight to our English system while the rest of the world is metric. We are a stubborn people! Humans are constantly calculating and measuring time, space and storage in our heads. When we need accuracy, we use a tool that measures. 

When the boys were little, they loved to measure. Walker was especially fond of the process. I remember him calling it "my measure" and was gifted with a measuring tape one year. He was ecstatic. 

Both boys watched Dad doing projects and tried to imitate. I fell in love all over again, with The-Love-of-My-Life, countless times watching him measure for a project and then asking Chase or Walker to measure, too. He was always encouraging. Their confidence soared when they stood beside their father measuring and interpreting their world. These little things matter. 

I have a fondness for the vintage style yardsticks that were given out as favors by hardware stores and grain elevators. They are harder to come by in recent years. My SIL, Jennifer, has a collection. They don't take much space, but they evoke so many memories of the businesses that gave them away. 

I adore the new "measuring sticks" that are often given as baby gifts as a modern trend. It is a moveable board on the wall to measure a child (or a puppy's) growth. If you move, you can take it with you. I have a wall in my craft cave that has measured our boys, puppies and some of their closest friends. It is priceless. We can't move because of it... unless I buy one of these sticks and transfer the memories. 

Love clearly speaks when we care enough to measure someone or something. Yet, God's love of us is immeasurable. His love knows no limits for the ones who call him Father. His wrath is fierce, too, but he is slow to anger. His patience is long. He gives us glimpses, in nature, of things we think are immeasurable, but we are assured that is not true with his "God vision". 

"He counts the stars, and calls them all by name." -Psalm 147:4
"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." -Psalm 56:8
"And the very hairs on your head are all numbered." -Matthew 10:30

Oh the wonder of being loved so deeply! Our Lord has a burning desire to be with us. He longs for us to return that love by choice... not because He demands it. He can order the stars, the wind, the waves and the rain. We are the one creation he gave choice and free will. The rest of creation is driven by His hand the instinct he designed. We are the wild card. 

I am grateful for the measurable and the immeasurable. 

Today, I am grateful for measuring sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment