Monday, November 2, 2020

Chickens

 Year 8-Day 307: Today, I’m grateful for chickens.

Chickens are the reason we have eggs. Eggs are a primary source of protein in many diets. Chicken is another lean meat that always ranks high with the dietician recommendations. I'd rather eat eggs than chicken.

Chickens are quite beautiful. When they are raised with ample land and a healthy diet, they become quite beautiful. I was at a friends a few weeks ago, where they raise chickens. They have multiple varieties and each one is uniquely feathered in many hues.

Grandpa and Grandma Lindgren raised chickens for all of my childhood. Grandpa often gifted eggs to the poor, to widows and those with many mouths to feed. Reflecting, I think it was more of a ministry than it ever was a money maker.

A male chicken... a rooster... is a key player in a prediction Jesus made not long before his crucifixion. Peter assured Jesus of his loyalty. Jesus predicted he would, indeed, deny him.

The chicken prediction: "Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” -Matthew 26:33

The rooster crows in Peter's story and the prophecy is fulfilled. 

Peter struggled with pride, like most of us. The experience of denying Jesus not once, not twice, but three times. Peter's shame was weighty. Jesus forgave him. Not only that... later on, Jesus gave him the assignment to "feed my sheep" three times. 

Jesus covered Peter's failings, forgave him and found him worthy of a key assignment beyond his failures. The rooster reminds us that our failures are never final. 

Today, I’m grateful for chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment