Saturday, November 28, 2020

Leftovers

Year 8-Day 333: Today, I’m grateful for leftovers.

Leftovers are a sign of abundance. Ample food with more than was really needed. When planning a big event, we use RSVP's to get the head count right. It matters. But in most of our daily lives, leftovers mean tomorrow's lunch is covered... or tomorrow's dinner will get a jump start with leftovers. 

Yesterday and today, many are eating turkey leftovers. It is a Lindgren tradition to make "creamed turkey" and serve it over toast. I am not sure if it is a Swedish or German thing, but I know it was one of Dad's favorites. Most of my family enjoys it, too. Creamed turkey, made from leftovers, is a tradition. 

When Mama Ina Mae married Dad, they introduced my Aunt Judy to the neighbor boy, Larry Hanson. They fell in love and the rest is history. We grew up with cousins who were almost as close as siblings.  April was the same age as the twins, Dawn and Donna. Matthew and Doug were the same age, too. I was the oldest and my cousin, Debbie, was younger than me by nine years. She grew up on my hip. I loved carrying her around. Debbie and I were the "leftovers" when everyone paired up by ages. We didn't mind. We never felt left out if we had each other. 

Jesus fed the 5000 and had leftovers. He didn't just make sure there was enough to eat, he offered them abundance. Isn't that just like Jesus? 

"Don’t you understand even yet? Don’t you remember the 5,000 I fed with five loaves, and the baskets of leftovers you picked up?" -Matthew 16:9

Leftovers are not fancy, but they are good. They help alleviate the "What's for dinner?" question. They allow us to exercise some creativity in the kitchen. Leftovers are a blessing. 

Today, I’m grateful for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment