Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Undivided Hearts

 Year 8-Day 308: Today, I’m grateful we can pray for "undivided hearts of flesh... not stone." 

It is election day in the USA. We live in a country where we get to vote for our leaders. We live in a country where we need to pray for our leaders. One of the things that moves my heart is the challenge to pray for my enemies. I like to think I don't have a very long list, but perhaps I underestimate those who dislike me. 

We are called to lift up our leaders in prayer to The One who is still on the throne, no matter who wins the election. Breathe. 

 "I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." -Ezekiel 11:19

We must not let our hearts become hardened. We must collectively pray for the winners and those who lose their elections. I have to be honest... I can't wait for the campaign adds to be over! 

' “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. ' -Matthew 5:33-35 

If your candidate wins... pray for them. If your choice loses, pray for them more. I need to write this down to be intentional. Prayer changes hearts. Esther's story is one of my favorite examples. Daniel, too. 

We must choose to live in the light of love. Stand together. Lift up those who need help. Be patient with those who have no filter. Be a kind human. 

Tomorrow, I will wake up and think about my dear friend, Chayo, who reminds me every day that I am very blessed to be born in this country. In fact, she says I have no idea how lucky I am. I know she is right. Tomorrow, we will say the pledge together with undivided hearts. She is a wife, a mother, a believer, a healthcare worker and a dear friend. I don't care how she voted. I am sure she doesn't judge me by my vote, either.  We are sisters under the stars and stripes of Old Glory, expressing our privilege to make our voice heard . 

My niece led the pledge in pre-school many years ago at about 4 years of age. She ended it "With liberty and justice for frogs." To this day, I saw quietly "With liberty and justice for all...even frogs." Frogs can't vote. They don't turn into princes. Neither, do politicians. 

Keep your hearts tender.

Today, I’m grateful we can pray for "undivided hearts of flesh... not stone." 

No comments:

Post a Comment