Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The Prepared

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 223: Today, I am grateful for those who are prepared. 

I am not sure I've told the story from when I was a little girl. I didn't like a wet diaper, so I would crawl to the baby potty before I could walk.  Wetting my pants was not something Dad and Mama worried about when we went places. I was curious and would figure out where every bathroom was located. 

One afternoon, we went to "Grandma and Grandpa Wade's" house. They were neighbors and their sons were best of friends with my Dad and Uncle Mel.  Dick and Jim Wade and Melvin and Kenny Lindgren had many good times together.  Grandpa Wade would always engage the children. His quick smile is something I can still see in my memory. A bunch of farmers who loved any time the work stopped for a gathering. 

I do not recall the occasion. I do recall how I accessorized my outfit for the day with the Wades and friends. I wore two purses. One slung over each shoulder. Grandpa Wade was curious and I had a lot of language for a little girl (big surprise, right? ).

"We do you have two purses?" asked Grandpa Wade.

I proudly opened one of the purses and pulled out a shiny dime. 

"What is in the other purse?" he asked. 

My response was a little more shy this time around. I opened the other purse and produced a spare pair of underwear. I whispered to him, "Just in case."  

He never forgot that story and told it every time I saw him. 

"Just in case." It really does reveal a strong part of my personality. 

I like to be prepared. When we go downtown to the huge "Red, White and Boom" show in Peoria on the 4th of July, I always pack snacks and toilet paper. That toilet paper has come in handy when the bathrooms run out. We've even shared with strangers. 

When trouble comes, it is good to be prepared. 

I know Scar is the bad guy in "The Lion King", but I love his song "Be Prepared". 

This scripture comes to mind. 

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble." -Psalm 46:1

He is always ready to help, just in case we find ourselves in trouble.  He is amazing. 

Today, I am grateful for those who are prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment