Sunday, June 2, 2019

Eagerly Awaited Ones

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 151: Today, I am grateful for eagerly awaited ones. 

Sunday "Daily Gratitude" posts sometimes happen before church... sometimes after. It is my grace day. We all need a little grace, right? This morning, I grabbed some extra sleep before church. Two wedding weekends in a row... both out of town... were totally worth it, but I must confess I feel a bit tired today. It turns out, waiting was just the thing I needed to point my heart toward gratitude. 

After church, I had a great conversation with one of my dearest friends from my days at Olivet Nazarene University. I am grateful we have never lost touch. I am grateful for the technology that allows us easy access for a quick "chat" 32 years after we lived our days together. Each encounter is eagerly awaited.

In college, Susan and I spent hours studying together before tests. We have a mutual love of learning new things and looking a little deeper. It makes her a fun Bible Study partner, too. Our study styles click. She is walking with me through the Old Testament this year with an online group. I am loving her company. I eagerly await her responses whenever we get a chance to share some time. It is always time well spent. 

The Bible is unlike any other book on the shelf. It can stand up to good questions. It can defend itself. We don't have to protect it, God's got that covered. Fear may keep people from reading it... something we talked about in Sunday School today... but, it will hold up. It's promises are true and it's truths will stand firm. 

This was my verse of the day. There are days I am absolutely sure they arrive by email, but were sent by God. Today is one of those days. It connected the dots between what I learned in Sunday School and then part of my conversation with my Susan. 

"so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."-Hebrews 9:28

What am I doing with my time and resources? Am I as hospitable to strangers and neighbors as I am called to be? What if Jesus rolled into town this evening? Would He find me eagerly awaiting him or would I be trying to tidy the house on the way to answer the doorbell? If we follow His example, Jesus would rather find our house a mess, and full of people who are even messier. 

I want to be like the bride eagerly awaiting to be joined with her bridegroom. I want my heart to be pure in thought and seeking His... longing for the reunion. I want my excitement for his coming to overshadow the long and grueling parts of ordinary days. 

Christ put sin to death on that nasty, rugged cross. One death was enough! He conquered it so we don't have to fear it. That is, indeed, amazing love! 

Death is not an end, my friend. It is a door. Jesus is coming. Do we wait for him like the groom waits for his bride? Will we b found pure in heart and joyfully anticipating forever? 

Today, I am grateful for eagerly awaited ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment