Saturday, June 15, 2019

Lessons Caught Not Taught

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 165: Today I am grateful for lessons caught not taught. 

I love this picture of Mom and Dad. I am grateful for the few photos we have of people sprinkled in with the cars and tractors. This one brings back so many memories. One of the things I remember is that Dad never questioned mom's weekly visit to the hair parlor to create this stunning bee-hive. It was one of those little things I am sure he thought was a waste of money - but it made her feel and look good. 

Since kids were too rambunctious for the beauty parlor - most Saturday mornings we were shuffled of to my Great- Aunt Elin's. She was Grandpa's oldest sister and was born somewhere around 1890. In the sixties - she was well into her seventies- and a widow. Dad always made sure she had rides and was included in the fabric of our lives.

I have the sweetest memories of Aunt Elin's official snack for April, Matt and myself - Brach's chocolate stars...hard cheese on saltines with mustard...and a glass of water. We enjoyed the visits, her stories and most of all...swinging on the porch swing. 

Thank you Dad for teaching us to not just respect our elders - but to love them, embrace them and include them. He never bulked at Sundays with the in-laws. I believe that he treasured every conversation with my Great Grandpa Bess. I remember them talking for hours...always about the Lord's blessings...and even some of the trials. 

I am grateful for many lessons learned at my Father's knee (and occasionally over it)  ...especially the value of those who had many years of experience under their belts. Dad's favorite saying in later years..."It takes a LONG time to screw an old man's head on a young mans body." 

I am grateful that my husband is doing the same for our boys. Example is by far a greater teacher than a lecture. :) Happy Father's Day to the "Good Guys". 

Today I am grateful for lessons caught not taught. 

No comments:

Post a Comment