Saturday, June 22, 2019

Scones

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 172: Today, I am grateful for scones.

I rarely choose a food for gratitude (although it is an easy one), but the past few days scones keep crossing my path. I. Adore. Scones. 

I can skip a donut or a breakfast coffee cake, but a scone. Oh my... they are pure delight.  Not too sweet. Not too plain. A scone is my "just right". 

They were made for savoring. Some are filled with sweet fruits and nuts. Others lean to the savory side. Both have a place at the table. 

Just like we all have a place at God's table. Each one of us is wanted! In the mix of savory and sweet, He delights in our uniqueness. Some of us spell "favorite" with a "u"... but all of us are his "favourites" (Claire and Gypsy). 

The bible does not speak of scones, but I dug around and found this passage in 1 Chronicles. I like it because it is shows how David was full of joy and hospitality as he celebrated the Ark of God's Covenant returning to Jerusalem:

"They brought the Ark of God and placed it inside the special tent David had prepared for it. And they presented burnt offerings and peace offerings to God. When he had finished his sacrifices, David blessed the people in the name of the Lord. Then he gave to every man and woman in all Israel a loaf of bread, a cake of dates,and a cake of raisins." -1 Chronicles 16:1-3 

David didn't just pass out plain old bread. He passed out a cake of dates and raisins. Raisins are not my favorite, but they sure do add a sweetness to any bread or cake. Bring on the dates! I would not turn down any bread from the King's hand, or do I? 

Do we turn down bread from the King's hand? Do we turn up our nose or turn away from God's provision because it isn't "our favorite" or what we expected? Things to ponder over coffee (or tea) and a scone.

There is a special joy that comes in sharing bread, a meal... or a bread-like scone. If you are now burning for a scone and you live near a Great Harvest Bread Company... you will not be disappointed. 

Today, I am grateful for scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment