Sunday, December 6, 2020

Gentleness


 Year 8-Day 341: Today, I am grateful for gentleness. 

There is nothing stronger in the world than gentleness.  -Han Suyin

There is truth in these words. Nothing is more attractive than the strong choosing gentleness. It melts my heart. It always has. 

I remember seeing The Love-of-my-Life holding our newborn baby boys. They were helpless, but never in any danger. I remember thinking that if I didn't already love him, I would fall in love with him all over again. 

I remember watching our sons with baby animals, rescued birds and other creatures that crossed their paths. They would softly whisper calm encouragement to sick, nervous or frightened animals. They learned these things from their father (and maybe a little from me, too)... but their father was the one teaching them how to be good, strong and courageous men. He taught them the strength of gentleness. 

Where do you see gentleness today? Where is it fostered, watered and grown? When you witness acts of gentleness, give thanks. Point them out to your children and grandchildren. Gentleness shines in a world where hardened evil is very real. 

"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect."-1 Peter 13:15

Peter was not known for his "gentleness", which is one of the reasons this verse is special. He was acting outside of his normal demeanor and clothing himself in the Holy Spirit. He wasn't perfect, but he was trying. What do I wear for Christ today?

This year, I am participating in Dressember again with a small team of three. We are wearing dresses every day in December... no matter the temperatures... because there are women, teens and small children caught in the ugly evil of human trafficking's. This month, we don't fight with a sword, but with a dress. Those caught in the web of human trafficking know little gentleness in their world. 

I will mention my Dressember link several times this month. It is a tax deductible donation and they send a receipt for taxes. The agencies supported are in the thick of the fight for freedom for the enslaved. I would be thrilled if you would consider helping return some gentleness and respect to the lives of those lost in the sex and slave trades. Some are as young as two years old because the depraved have sick appetites. 

https://dressember2020.funraise.org/fundraiser/valerie-smith-3128011

I am reminded that "His strength is made perfect in our weakness." Being gentle is a chosen response. It does not come easy for everyone, but we can practice gentleness like we would practice any other chosen behavior.  

Today, I am grateful for gentleness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment