Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 in the Rearview Mirror

 

Year 8-Day 366: Today, I am grateful 2020 is in the rearview mirror. 

My one little word for 2020 was light. What a choice for a year that seemed filled with plenty of darkness. Still, I am grateful for lessons learned. 

It would have been easy to be completely overwhelmed by 2020. There were days that have been exhausting and frustrating. Still, there has been plenty of light poured into even the hardest days. 

Dealing with unknowns is always hard. It has been a year of unrest and unknowns. It has been a year of scrambling to figure out what to do and what not to do. Then, the rules change.  Everyone else has had their own similar experiences. 

This year, we learned the deeper value of life's celebrations beyond any special event. These celebrations bring us together for a real human connection. How I've missed connecting. 

We knew that eyes were the window to the soul, but how I've missed smiles and other facial expressions that say what eyes cannot say. Facial expressions are an important part of communication... and I've missed dimples and grins.

I am pretty sure there will be many more lessons learned before I am done reflecting on 2020. One is summed up well by Brene Brown: 

"All I know is that my life is better when I assume that people are doing their best. It keeps me out of judgment and lets me focus on what is, and not what should or could be." -Brene Brown

We do not know the circumstances in another's life. We don't know their whole story or what they fear most. We can choose kindness. Kindness is always a better choice than "right-ness". 

The scripture that has blessed my soul over and over again this year: 

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.t does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." -1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love always wins. We can't right every wrong or every wrong turn from 2020, but we can celebrate every single time love was bigger than that circumstance or the trial at hand. 

Today, I am grateful 2020 is in the rearview mirror. 


No comments:

Post a Comment