Friday, January 1, 2021

Light

 

Year 9- Day 1: Today, I am grateful for one little word...light. 

Thanks for joining me in another year of gratitude. It is good to have friends on the journey.

I mentioned yesterday that each year I choose a new word to ponder, pray on and practice. I had no idea in January of 2020 that "light" would be so important for the journey ahead. I always pray about it and let the Holy Spirit lead. Light turned out to be perfect. 

This quote has stuck with me over the years:

“There is a crack, a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.”  Leonard Cohen, Anthem lyrics

The broken places let the light in.

Light reflects. 
Light can heal. 
Light illuminates.
Light defeats darkness. 
Light warms.

Light calms our fears.

Traveling light, we learn to live more simply. To lighten another human's load shows compassion and mercy. 

Jesus said: Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” -John 8:12

And in Him... there is no darkness. When we are in Him, we, too, become part of His light.

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. -Matthew 5:14

His light seeps into our broken places. It doesn't make us perfect. Not all of our scars disappear. Remember, Jesus offered Thomas his nail scarred hands. The scars were still there... a reminder how far love and light will go to reach those who are consumed by the darkness. 

I haven't quite decided on my one little word for 2021. I will know it when it arrives. 

Today, I am grateful for 2020's journey with one little word...light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment