Monday, January 4, 2021

Twinings of London

 

Year 9- Day 4: Today, I am grateful for Twinings of London.

A little lighter note for today's gratitude. As I sit to write, I am holding a steeping a cup of Twinings Tea. Buttermint to be exact. I love their Pure Peppermint and Earl Gray, too. Let's face it... the English know their teas. 

Coffee brings me joy. Tea brings me comfort, healing and delight. Twinings has always been a staple in my tea stash. Mama Ina Mae solved many of our health ailments with the right tea. (Yes, I am becoming my mother.) I love sharing teas with friends who are ailing. I keep a stash at work to savor and share. 

Tea always makes me think of my Uncle Lee. He loved it as much as Mama. When he was alive, the two of them would converse about family, tea, books and Jesus around the kitchen table for hours. Mama and Uncle Lee were both voracious learners. The two of them provided us with strong evidence that "smart" and "learned" has nothing to do with the number of degrees or letters behind your name. They taught us to be hungry for learning. They modeled looking for multiple sources. They were students of many subjects and loved to teach each other. The health benefits of tea was a regular topic. 

Some teas are enjoyed simply because they tasted good. Twinings would have teas in both categories. Twinings English Breakfast was one Mama kept as a household staple. Black teas are not my favorite, until I add cream and sugar. A Twining Earl Gray tea with vanilla topped with frothed milk is a personal favorite.   

Twinings of London was established in 1706 when Thomas Twining purchased a London coffee house from an old employer. He added teas to the menu, even selling tea in bulk and specially blended. His tea business grew and grew. He eventually gave up the coffee and focused solely on teas. 

I know you are wondering. Twinings sold tea to America, but Twinings' historians are adamant no Twining tea ended up in Boston Harbor.   

Today, I am grateful for Twinings of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment