Friday, January 8, 2021

TV Off


 Year 9- Day 8: Today, I am grateful we can turn the tv off. 

There is something different in the younger generations that I love. They don't center any room around a television. Most of them could care less about cable. They stream what they want to watch through services like Netflix and listen to Podcasts that catch their interest. Unlike many generations... including my own... the television is not a necessity. 

There is a resurgence in board game popularity (maybe quarantine has magnified the need for something other than television for entertainment). It is good. 

Now, I love my Hallmark channels (all of them), but I love my people more. Memories are not made in front of the television. They are made through conversations, sharing a meal and laughing together. Nothing is sweeter than time with loved ones.

The television sucks us in. Commercials are catchy in slogan and tune.  It interrupts opportunity for real connections. People are treasures. TV's are quickly outdated. Love lives on. 

I thought of this verse:

"Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." Matthew 6:19-21

When loved ones are gone, rarely will it we think about times in front of the TV. We will remember playing games, playing cards, camping, beach days, meals out and other times when conversations and sharing took center stage.  

Today, I am grateful we can turn the tv off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment