Sunday, January 24, 2021

Friends Who Are Different

 

Year 9- Day 24: Today, I am grateful for friends who are different.

I always enjoy the videos of animals of different species who befriend each other. Yes, animals can sometimes choose to act outside of nature, too. Cats and dogs can be friends. So can cows and cats. When raised together, animals can form strong bonds. Species is just a scientific classification with little meaning when you are part of the same family.

One of the true signs of maturity is when a person seeks out and nurtures friendships outside of what is easy and comfortable. Sincere friendships beyond our easy social circles can turn out to be rare gems in our treasure trove of friends.

Jesus learned woodworking and the carpenter's trade, but he found deep and abiding friendships with the fishermen, the doctor, the tax collectors, the physician and so many more. We grow when we choose to love people where they are. We don't have to make our friends "like us". That should never be the goal.

We might ask, 'What can I learn from my friends who are the most different from me?" Each one of us is knit together with unique qualities. All of us have something to contribute... something to share.

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body  and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it." -Psalm 139:13-14

We can choose to celebrate uniqueness.

Today, I am grateful for friends who are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment