Saturday, January 2, 2021

Grief Shared

 Year 9- Day 2: Today, I am grateful for grief shared.

Today, a dear friend from childhood lost his 47 day battle with Covid. Another of my closest friends, lost her father today. Two special men stepped through the door into eternity tonight. Both heard "Well done my good and faithful servant."

I think the best way to get through grief is to plow through it. So, tonight, I will write about Javier.

Javier Tamez and I were from two very different backgrounds. If I remember right, his childhood address was on or near Cicero Ave. in Chicago. English was not the only language spoken in his home. He knew how to use public transportation. He was as city as he could be... and my sister, April, and I were as country as country gets. 

Our paths collided at the Chicago Central Nazarene Youth Camp in Aroma Park, IL, just outside of Kankakee. We built friendships that were rooted in faith, fellowship, campfires and fun.  Our shared summers together make up some of our sweetest childhood memories. To this day, when any of us connect... the years fall way. We worked at Everyone Cares Camp. We were camp counselors at Girls Camp and Boys Camp (I led music and snack shack with my friend, Tina, at Boys Camp.) 

We made every attempt to reconnect between summers and our days together at ONU were like a dream come true. Most of us can sing all of the lyrics to Michael W Smith's "Friends" because "A friends a friend forever, if the Lord's the Lord of him... and a friend will not say "never" .. and the welcome will not end." The welcome never ends... even after about 40 years.

One of my favorite memories of Javier was his first trip to my childhood home. We lived three miles west of Clifton. Yes, rural means one lane roads. There were no yellow lines dividing the road. Poor Javier was white knuckled when he realized our predicament. He asked if they were "one way streets". I laughed and said, "No." He grew more anxious and asked, "But what if we meet an oncoming car?" I casually said, "We share the road." He didn't look comforted.

What was 100% ordinary for me was a scary ride for Javier (Kim... do you remember that day?) We were so different, but the best of friends. No matter the years in between... we could catch up in a minute. 

Javier was always a tender heart. His passion for God and love for all people reminded meant Javier lived out the Great Commission with every breath. Pastoring is a tough job. He was made for it. He was a shepherd. In fact, he reminds me of Pastor John Story in the way he listened, loved and lifted people up. Pastor Story, I am sure was one of his mentors early in his life, as he was to all of us. 

We've been praying for Javier for about 47 days. Thy will be done is how Jesus taught us to pray, but it isn't always easy. This is my verse for the day: 

Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom. -Psalm 90:12

We may grow in wisdom, but it doesn't make the path painless. I am so grateful for shared grief. One of my life verses comes from Romans 12:15:

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 

We are instructed to share joys and sorrows. When we weep together, we build real, solid and enduring relationships that stand the test of time. 

Bruce was our camp friend who took the pictures. I am forever grateful that he was quick with a camera. I am so grateful we took the time to capture this picture. I loved it before. Now it is priceless. 

Today, we have been grieving together. Our hearts are with Milissa, the kids, his family. Dan... losing a sibling is a unique grief, too. 

Today, I am grateful for grief shared.




No comments:

Post a Comment