Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Edits

 

Year 9- Day 47: Today, I am grateful for edits. 

I love to write. These daily posts are written very quickly. I know there are typos and grammatical errors. I am grateful for my friends  who have offered to be my editor, if I ever get  "Daily Gratitude" into a devotional book. 

I prefer to self edit. Don't we all? I know, in truth,  it is very difficult to edit our own writings. We know what we meant to say, so that is what we read.  We don't see our own imperfections. 

I know I need a good editor, when perfecting a piece of writing for sharing. The best thing about a good editor is their ability to polish a piece of writing, without changing the meaning or losing the author's voice. 

I started thinking about authors. Writing is very personal for anyone who truly loves words. Sometimes, I don't care about being grammatically perfect. That is the joy of creative writing. We don't have to follow all the rules, but the rules make our writing easier for others to read. 

One of my favorite compliments is when someone says my writing is conversational.  I like to write as if speaking. Conversation rules differ from writing. On the other hand, we can write down conversations. Creative liberty is freeing.  I use and abuse the ellipsis. There are times I need a pause. A semicolon is not always the best choice. Now, I love a good semicolon, the ellipsis is easy and trails off like my thoughts at times.  

The author and editor relationship is precious. The editor helps clarify what the author meant to say on the occasion the words don't come out right... or did I mean to say  "come out write"? 

In our Christian walk, I am reminded that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith. When he walked with us on earth, those who saw Him knew he was special:

When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority—quite unlike their teachers of religious law. -Matthew 7:28-29

He spoke with authority. Like he was the writer. The synagogue leaders hated him for it. I've never thought about the words "author" and "authority" being related, but they are. Look at this passage:

"with our eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who having been offered joy, endured the cross,{Gr. stauros-stake} despising the shame and was seated at the right hand of the throne of God." -Hebrews 12:2 (JUB)

So many times in our daily walk with Christ, we find ourselves in the middle of a plot twist. Something like a job loss, the untimely loss of a loved one or the loss of health. When we are writing our own stories, they have Hallmark endings, right? (I love my Hallmark movies!) Yet, when God wants to move big in our lives, His editing allows some of those uncomfortable plot twists. 

There is a difference between what God sends and what he allows. There are times the uncomfortable plot twist stems from my own poor decisions or someone else's choices. He never abandons us.  He is steady and reliable. The question is, "Do I trust His edits ?" 

An inconvenient flat tire may have saved your life because someone else ran a stop sign... and most of the time, you never know it. We don't know the reason for every edit. We can't see the big picture. Do you trust the editor? 

Today, I am grateful for edits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment