Sunday, November 21, 2021

Brother in Love Ken

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 324: Today, I am grateful for Ken Toedebusch.  

My brother-in-love, Ken, left the earth a couple weeks ago. It was unexpected and a shock to us all. We will celebrate his life soon. The planet has lost one of the most gentle and patient men I’ve ever known. 

Ken was quiet in crowds, but in small groups one would discover he was a good conversationalist. He was smart, good with his hands and savvy on current events. 

Ken loved old cars. You have to respect a man who values things that have survived the tests of time. He didn’t discard things that were a little banged up or broken… he would try to fix them. I think Lola loved his desire to fix things… even if it meant the garage was rarely filled with the cars they were actually driving… and his projects were never finished fast. 

He loved Lola and their family. He found ways to connect with the grandchildren. He had the best smile when you were offered a glimpse of it under his nearly legendary mustache. 

Ken always welcomed us into his home and wanted to be sure we felt welcome. We, Smiths, often arrived in packs at times and the house gets noisy. When they chose a Florida home, it wasn’t one with a huge garage. He knew Lola would love the pool and lanai. 

The Love of my Life always spoken of Ken’s patience. (Lola Marie Toedebusch, I have no idea what he was trying to say 😉, but it always made me smile.) Randy would say, “Ken, is a very patient man.” Words spoken 100% in love for both Lola and Ken. 

Together, they found something special. It didn’t matter where they lived, as long as they were together… they were home. Some of my favorite memories happened at the kitchen table it sitting on the lanai. 

Love in youth is sweet. Love seasoned with years, trials and shared joys is even sweeter. To us, it feels like his time here was too short. I’m sad we didn’t have more shared meals and chats at dawn or dusk. 

I am so grateful for the family time we shared at Monte’s memorial last spring. We made a few new memories. 

“… it is good when brothers (and sisters) sit together in harmony. “

I know God’s timing is perfect… but we will miss him. We already do. 

Today, I am grateful for Ken Toedebusch.

No comments:

Post a Comment