Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Christmas Lights

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 334: Today, I am grateful for Christmas Lights.

I love the lights of Christmas. When we were little, Dad and Mama would take us for drives around different neighborhoods to "look at the pretties". That was what they said when the Christmas lights and decorations would start to pop up all over town and in Kankakee near my grandparents home. We loved it!

Being country people, there were decorations on many farms, but in town we found magical clusters of lights and decorations in neighborhoods.  As kids, the more the merrier. Big lights, little lights, colored lights and lawn decorations delighted us as children. 

My idea of what was beautiful changed as I matured. I can appreciate the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation home for the huge effort put forth, but I lean into a more classic look for my own home. 

We are white light people, but to each his own. If colored lights make you smile, go for it! That is part of the magic. Everyone uses similar lights, yet each one makes it their own. The light catches the eye of anyone passing by. Light attracts people.  

"Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” -John 8:12

He Is light of the world! His light attracts people to him. His light leads to life. It is good news, isn't it? As you light up your home, inside and out, pause to take in the welcome in the lights.  

As we light our Christmas lights, let our purpose be to point the way to Jesus. 

Today, I am grateful for Christmas Lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment