Wednesday, November 17, 2021

The Polka

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 322: Today, I am grateful for the polka. 

Weird choice for today? Perhaps, but my friend Trisha offered up an image of Mama Ina Mae healed and whole... dancing in heaven. She loved to dance. 

When Chase and Emma were married, they made sure there was a polka. 

For those who have always wondered what convinced the Love Of My Life I was the right one for him, now I will tell you the truth. I was the first girl he dated who could dance the polka. It is tradition on both sides of our families. We both love the dance. It is high energy. It's fun. 

I learned the Polka from my Grandpa Bess. Aunt Kathy used to be his dance partner, but when she wasn't able to join the "3 J's" for Sunday afternoon nursing home shows, I stepped in as Grandpa's dance partner.  He was as light on his feet as Dick Van Dyke. I loved flying around the nursing home hall in his arms. All the while, Mama played her heart out on the accordion. Mama loved the dance, too. 

My Sister-In-Love, Lola, knew my Mama's health condition, but Mama wanted to dance the polka at Chase and Emma's wedding. Dear Lola stepped in and was Mama's dance partner. It was a very special moment in the celebration for me. Two people I loved, doing the dance that brought our families together. Mama felt so special because Lola took the time to overlook Mama's limitations and embrace her joy in joining the dance. 

One of the giggles we used to get from Mama was when I would kiss her goodbye and tell her "No dancing on the tables, and keep your shirt down." Sometimes, she wouldn't exactly agree to the deal. A girl has to leave her options open, right? 

Mama loved to dance, but I am confident it was never on tables and she was quite modest by nature. I know she is dancing in heaven. She is healed and whole. How can we not celebrate her deliverance from a sick and worn human form. 

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy," -Psalm 30:11

Today, I am grateful for the polka. 



No comments:

Post a Comment