Sunday, November 28, 2021

Deck the Halls

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 332: Today, I am grateful we can deck the halls. 

Decking the halls today. It is such a happy time of year. We want the spirit of the season to come alive. Decorating the house helps that happen. The mantel on the fireplace is always one of my favorite spots to cover in Christmas decorations. Oh... it is good for the soul. 

We always hope those who enter our home feel welcome. I want to be like my Mama Ina Mae. We hope those who enter as strangers, leave as friends. Those who come often, we hope feel like family. This weekend, we realized Kinga Kovacs, our Hungarian niece (Kenzie's roommate we have adopted in our hearts and home), has her own spot at the table for meals. That means you are home. It was good to have her company as I unpacked the stuff. 

The Love of my Life did the trees. Usually, it is more of a team effort, but I started another project I wanted to complete before our Lindgren family gathering. Walker helped him get items down from storage in the garage. His help meant nothing was dropped or broken. Randy gets the Rockstar Husband Award this weekend. In truth, the trees I decorate, he tends to "fix" when I am done. I decorate from the heart. He likes to finesse the finished trees. 

What do you do to deck the halls in your home? Do you decorate like your parents or do you have your own style? Do you tear up over macaroni and crayon picture frame ornaments (Donna Davis Roth)? I do. There are so many memories on our Christmas trees. 

How do we prepare our hearts for the best gift of all? The Christ child is still waiting in the manager, hoping to not be overlooked because of the gifts, sparkle and lights. He is still the reason for the season. In our hearts, we know this is true, but our heads get tied up with the seasonal chaos. 

John 14:2 is a passage that was read at both Monte and Mom's services (Lola, I can't remember if it was read at Ken's last week).

"There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?" -John 14:2

Brother Monte Carl worked on the service side of Disney and Mama was always preparing for her next guests. Both spent a lifetime preparing a place for others. 

Now, they have arrived at the place our Lord has prepared for them. A place so glorious we can only imagine it, because Christ prepared it for them with love. There were no disappointments upon their arrival. There was no lowly humble manger in a barn. Their reward was great. 

This Christmas, as you prepare your home, choose joy. It is work, but it is work to honor the birthday of the King of Kings. He doesn't care if the decorations are handmade or Hallmark. He cares about our hearts. Are we prepared to receive Him? 

Today, I am grateful we can deck the halls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment