Monday, March 13, 2023

Pineapple

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 72: Today, I am grateful for pineapple.

Pineapple keeps popping up in places unexpected today. I love pineapple. Dad was very Midwest Farmer in his diet preferences, but he and Mama had been to Hawaii and discovered the pure delight of fresh pineapple. It was a favorite treat for us and not on the weekly grocery list. 

Pineapples are so unexpected. They look quite a lot like a giant pine cone with a crown. They are kind of  a pain to cut up, but worth the effort. Occasionally, they are in season somewhere and the markets get flooded with them. 2 for $5 is good. Occasionally, they are 2 for $3 or 99 cents a pineapple when they need to see them sold fast. 

Pineapples are crowd pleasers. We put them on pizza. Ham and pineapple is a favorite with all five of us.  Randy likes me to add jalapenos too. The sweet and salty combination with a kick. What's not to love about that? Don't knock it until you try it. 

My dear friend, Julie Cailteux, once sent me this image. It made me smile then and now. 

"Be a pineapple. Stand tall. Wear a crown. Be sweet on the inside." 

Julie always makes us smile... and laugh... and sometimes leaves us shaking our heads. We adore her.  Everyone should have a Julie (and a Gerald) in their world. She knew I would love the crown in this quote! 

The quote reminds me of this passage on the fruits of the Spirit:

"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!" -Galatians 5:22-23

We are to bear fruit in such a way we can not be accused of wrongdoing. 

Today, I am grateful for pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment