Friday, March 31, 2023

Early Warning Systems

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 90: Today, I am grateful for early warning systems.

Growing up in Illinois and living here my entire life, severe storms capable of producing tornadoes have always been a part of my world. We were taught to respect the storms and prepare for them, but not fear them. 

Mama Ina Mae was actually scared, but didn't want us to know. She breathed courage into us, even though she felt the fear. She was amazing.

I have childhood memories of watching the clouds and seeing the funnels drop before heading to the basement. I remember the scent, the colors, the skies, and the smells. As an adult, I have learned a deep respect for the power of the storm. I am grateful we now have better warning systems in place. We can be better prepared. 

Still, some are too cool or too arrogant to heed the warnings. They will be caught unprepared if the worst case scenario appears. Even the villain, Scar, from "The Lion King" knew to "Be Prepared." 

“Those who hear the warnings of this curse should not congratulate themselves, thinking, ‘I am safe, even though I am following the desires of my own stubborn heart.’ This would lead to utter ruin!" -Deuteronomy 29:18

Oh, my stubborn heart! Head the warnings. Prepare with diligence. Look to the skies. 

It makes me think of another warning many choose to ignore:

 "You, too, must keep watch! For you don’t know when the master of the household will return—in the evening, at midnight, before dawn, or at daybreak." -Mark 13:35

We must be prepared. 

Today, I am grateful for early warning systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment