Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Lessons In Tenacity

Year 6-Day 23:Today, I am grateful for lessons in tenacity. 

Some of my favorite sources of quotes are great inventors and scientists. I admire many of them for their tenacity. They didn't give up when something went wrong, they thought, worked and wiggled their way around the problem to eventually find a solution. Success came from trying one more time. They continued trying when everyone else gave up and laughed at their foolishness. That is tenacity. 

A long time ago, a friend taught me to look to the spider as an example. I know many are not fans of this 8 legged creation, but I have always been grateful that they catch flies and other bothersome bugs in their webs. 

The spider spins his web over and over again, because the wind, the rain and human hand so quickly and easily destroy his home. He doesn't give up and stop spinning. He simply spins again. 

Loving art, I find the intricacies of the spider's web are beautiful in design, although their purpose is deadly. The spider in this picture built and rebuilt just outside the sliding door to our yard. The web would feed her and do some pest at our door. She eventually moved. 

There are times we all grow weary. We get tired of trying. We lament no results. My friend reminded me to look to the spider as a reminder to not give up, no matter how many times it feels like the best laid plans and preparation are destroyed. 

I have a rose bush that we planted at our lamppost in remembrance of my sister. For many years, it was just a green bush with some thorns, and an occasional bloom that felt a little more like a tease than a victory. My Randy would probably have ripped it out, but he loves me and let it stay, knowing it was important to me. Then, it happened. Much to our surprise, it had some years it was loaded with blooms. Time and tenacity... a perhaps a few less neighborhood dogs peeing on it on their daily walks... made the difference. All I know is that my heart soars when it blooms. 

The same it true for doing the right thing. You can try and not feel there is any real pay of. Do the right thing anyway. Do it for the one who calls us to be salt and light... and to care for those who are hurting, broken down by life and in need. Press on with tenacity of the spider. 

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. -Galatians 6:9 

Today, I am grateful for lessons in tenacity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment