Thursday, January 4, 2018

One Little Word: Savor

Year 6-Day 4: Today, I am grateful for one little word... savor.


For the past few years, I have chosen a word to ponder for the year. A word that can have multiple meanings, applications, lessons and inspiration. This year, I struggled with my choice, and it wasn't until 12/31 that the decision was made. This year, SAVOR is the word. 

Savor is a word I use in my daily lexicon. I like it. Let's dig into the definition:

Savor-
Noun: 
1. the quality in a substance that affects the sense of taste or of smell.
2. a particular taste or smell,especially a pleasant one.
3. the power to excite or interest.

Verb: 
1. to perceive by taste or smell, especially with relish:
2. to have a suggestion or taste of something 
3. to give oneself to the enjoyment of
4. to exhibit the peculiar characteristics, a distinctive quality or property.
5. to give a savor to; season; flavor.

I think there is much to learn from this one little word. Every year at this time, I complain about the cold.  I am diligently working hard to make January a month of celebration and savoring the things that only the winter can bring. The thermometer reading six degrees below zero is testing me. Still, there are things to savor. 

Because the cold arrived with the snow and remained.. the snow is still pretty. Rising temperatures lead to a mucky mess. That has not happened since the snow arrived for Christmas. It is still quite lovely. 

I need to choose my attitude about the winter's chill... and make the decision to savor the good things that only the winter can bring. To actively savor this moment, is God honoring. I am not hungry or without shelter. Our cars are all currently running. We have hot beverages and creamy soups to warm us. There a wool socks and Cuddle Duds to combat the chill. There is polar fleece for snuggling and fuzzy mittens. So much to savor on this winter day.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light. -Psalm 36:7-9  

I will not focus on the cold, but on the delights that help us to ward off the chill. Winter delights that we will miss in the heat of summer. (Thanks Gypsy for that reminder.) 

Today, I am grateful for one little word... savor.



No comments:

Post a Comment