Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Rough Waters

Year 6-Day 30:Today, I am grateful for what we learn from rough waters. 

This is an old quote. Very old. Still, the truth is as deep as the sea. I simply do not learn the things I need to learn in the times that the waters of life are smooth. 

Life is full of plot twists and unexpected turns. Things turn out different than we thought they would be... even if we do our best to follow the ancient path (I am loving that phrase... ancient path... from Jeremiah 6:6). The biggest surprise is that each wave that rocks our boat for the moment, we learn later is merely a training grown. 

What if the hardest thing you ever have to face is the first hard thing? 

Seriously... think about it. Rough seas and waves of trouble build our courage, our faith and our trust. Now, that doesn't mean we don't grow weary in troubled waters, but we grow, we stretch, we learn and we give into the "thy will be done" that doesn't always come easy when I have such great and well planned ideas as to how my life should unfold. 

I have so many blessings to count. I live in those blessings every single day. I try to give thanks for them, because I know how quickly things can change. I am often reminded that Job is a long book... one with an ending of blessings and abundance... but there are some rough chapters in the middle. 

Our God is faithful. Our God is good. He comes to us in the rough waters and longs for us to spend quite time with him on the smooth, open beautiful seas. When I learn to be grateful in the rough waters, it helps me truly savor the smooth seas. 

But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here![a]”
Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. Matthew 14:27-27

Do I have the courage to get out of the boat...even though he reminds me that He is right here to help? It is a lesson I apparently need repeating with some regularity. He is faithful. 

Remember... Peter is the only one who got out of the boat. 

Today, I am grateful for what we learn from rough waters. 





No comments:

Post a Comment