Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Ancient Path

Pinterest Image: Artist unnamed 
Year 6-Day 14: Today, I am grateful for the ancient path.

There is something about taking an ancient path that touches us in a soul deep way. 

One of my first memorable experiences was as a child visiting Abraham Lincoln's New Salem, as it was reconstructed. Imagining the children in the school house or the fire at the inn where one could take a meal and rest in warmth, it was a step back in time. I relish history, so it was one of my favorite childhood memories. 

There is something special about walking an ancient path. 

I saw this image on Pinterest. The artist was not named. I have never had this verse jump out at me before like it did today. 

I was just thinking about the "Songs of Ascent" that Jewish pilgrims would sing on road as they made their way to Jerusalem for Jewish festivals. Some say that the priests would also sing these scriptures as they made their way up the temple steps to worship. They are Psalms 120-134. King David is credited with four of the Psalms(122, 124, 131, 133),one to Solomon (127), while the remaining ten are anonymous. Collectively they are beautiful. Psalm 121 is shows up in praise, worship and contemporary songs today. 

Shoulders by For King and Country is one of those songs. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfiYWaeAcRw 

When this world takes a toll on our souls, our help comes from the Lord. His Word is living, sharp and true. This scripture reminds us to look to the ancient way. His way. 

Thus says the Lord:“Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths,where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ -Jeremiah 6:16

We live in a world of messages that say, "Me, me, me" but our hearts long for a relationship with "The Great I AM."  He is the "Thee, thee, thee" that give us peace and strength, wherever the path may lead. 

He is not outdated. His way isn't always popular, but it always good. Even when days are hard and we grow weary. We can rest in Him.  He never, ever changes. 


Today, I am grateful for the ancient path.

No comments:

Post a Comment