Friday, July 27, 2018

All The Pieces


Year 6 - Day 208: Today, I am grateful for a God who can mend a broken heart... when we give him all the pieces.

"God can heal a broken heart, but he has to have all the pieces." - The Sovereign Word

This one took my breath away. Wow. There is this place where scripture and the reality of daily living collide. That crossroad has a name. Decision.

Do I say I trust Him, but hold back the pieces of my life I don't want to give up? I think it is an easy pitfall. Trusting him means offering up control... it means giving up all the hurt, mess and brokenness.

Human nature is an interesting study. That study is valuable when it helps us make better choices, make changes and live fuller lives for all of our days. Sadly, some humans would rather be miserable.

Remember the old adage: "Misery loves company."? It is a sad truth.

Why is it so hard to release the hurt, sadness, grief and disappointments. We can choose to wear them like war medals, but they get so heavy. They weigh down our spirits like a ton of bricks. We are warriors... but we have limits to our own strength.

When tough stuff happens, the feelings are deep and real. We have to feel them to heal them. But, then, we have a very important choice. We must choose if misery is our destination and comfort zone... or if life is still a grand adventure? Are we broken and beautiful or are we broken without hope?

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. -Hebrews 11:1 (ESV)

Do we cling to that blessed assurance? Are our convictions about his goodness stronger and bigger than todays trail? Since it is impossible to fathom and understand the mind of God, we learn to trust his heart and obey his commands. Trust and obey. 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.-Romans 8:28 

It is true. I know. I've seen it unfold time and time again. Other times, we will not see the reasons on this side of heaven. He is still God. We are not. Yet, in our deepest, darkest, messed up places... he waits for us to bring our broken pieces to the foot of the cross for comfort, healing and restoration. He promises a future to those who seek Him with their whole hearts. He offers a forever that can't be imagined with what we know in this life. 

We all have days we want to cry out, "Beam me up, Scotty." We are tired of this planet and its many woes. That day is coming. One way or the other. But, until that day, we live, laugh, learn, love... and even lose, but we have hope. We can choose a future without destruction. 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.  You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.  -Jeremiah 29:11-13

It is always the right time to give him "all the pieces", holding nothing back. 

On one of my favorite CD's (Songs inspired by The Story) Brandon Heath sings the song "Bend". It is the story of Joseph in a ballad form. Enjoy it. We can bend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=ZKdUulbribY

Today, I am grateful for a God who can mend a broken heart... when we give him all the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment