Saturday, July 21, 2018

Clean Counters

Year 6 - Day 202: Today, I am grateful for clean counters.

This is not my forte. My house is pretty tidy, but my kitchen counters are my nemesis. They won't stay clean. I want them to, but they are the thing that gets out of hand quickly. 

We did had a little project in the kitchen to help with the clutter. Randy-My-Love isn't sure if it will work, but it looks cute and it makes me happy. If it will help with clutter, remains to be seen. 

A clean counter feels better than a cluttered one. All of those clean counters I see on TV belong to people that don't really live in their TV houses, but it sets the bar high. Of course, people with clean counters might have cabinets and closets that are dangerous to open. I know this because I am not above a quick tidy that includes "stuffing" stuff wherever it will fit. You see. Outward appearances can be deceiving. 


But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” -1 Samuel 16:7

For me, this is one of the most humbling verses in entire Bible. It goes right along with "Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us." We think we can hide from God, but we can't. There are no dirty little secrets from the master of the universe. He knows if the counter junk gets shoved in a drawer at the sound of company approaching. He knows our thoughts. 

Remember when Adam and Eve hid from God in Genesis 3? 

Who told you that you were naked?” the Lord God asked. “Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?” Genesis 3:11

Spoiler alert. God already knew where they were hiding and their nakedness had no sin attached until they disobeyed. Imagine that? I really can't. God knew they had eaten the forbidden fruit. They were naked and afraid for the first time. We can't hide from God. 

It is a good thing God's grace is not dependant on clean counters. What he does ask is a sincerely repentant heart.  Remember:

People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

On the other side of the coin,  people might judge my housekeeping skills by my kitchen counters... but my Lord knows when I am doing my best to seek His face and shows grace. He loves beyond measure, no matter how messy our lives might be at times. He loved us enough to die in our place. That is a deep and abiding love. 

Randy-My-Love will enjoy the clean counters, for however long they last. I will, too. I will delight in his pleasure at my efforts. Still, if I lose the war on counter clutter in the near future, his love is not dependent on tidy kitchen counters... which is a very good thing. 

This is another example of marriage being a wonderful way to better understand God's love for us. 

Today, I am grateful for clean counters.




No comments:

Post a Comment