Thursday, July 12, 2018

Favorite Quotes

Year 6 - Day 193: Today, I am grateful for favorite quotes.


I have been inspired, fueled, moved and challenged by quotes since I was a child. By college, I had started a 4x6 file box to keep my favorites. As a resident assistant at ONU, I would write them out and put them on the back of the door of our community bathroom stalls, with a scripture attached. I saw it as a mini-devotional for anyone who read them as they sat (not much else to do in there in the 80's). 


Silly? Maybe. Yet, I remember there were girls who would occasionally mention them. It was worth the time. Words can be hurtful or helpful. We must use them wisely. 

I have had so many favorite quotes over the years. "Dance like nobody's watching...", "Be still and know..." , "Make good choices." and many more. Every once in awhile, one challenges me for years. That is this quote from James Elliot, from "Through Gates of Splendor" written by his wife, Elisabeth Elliot after his death at the hands of the native people he was hoping to bring into fellowship through the gospel of Christ:

"He makes his ministers a flame of fire. Am I ignitable? God, deliver me from the asbestos of 'other things'. Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit, that I may be a flame. But flame is transient , often short-lived. Canst thou bear this my soul - short life? In me, there dwells the Spirit of the Great Short-Lived, whose zeal for God's house consumed Him. 'Make me thy fuel, Flame of God.'" -James Elliot 

This particular writing from his journal was prophetic. He was one of five missionaries killed while participating in Operation Auca, an attempt to evangelize the Huaorani people of Ecuador on January 8,1956. 

A journal entry from October 28, 1949, expresses his belief that work dedicated to Jesus was more important than his life. Jim Elliot wrote this scripture in his journal:

 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." -Luke 9:24

I want that kind of passion and courage. A love that knows no limits. 


What quotes inspire you? 

Today, I am grateful for favorite quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment